Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Confidence to Care

Part of sharing this journey with my readers is passing along information that I have found helpful.

Recently, I read a book entitled "Confidence to Care" by Molly Carpenter. This book was written as a resource for families struggling with dementia and Alzheimer's. It was a very easy read, easy to comprehend and was broken in to chapters addressing different behaviors and difficulties while dealing with this disease. For somebody who has a loved one in the beginning to mid phases of dementia, this book could be quite helpful in showing what to expect in the disease. There are also suggestions on how to handle certain behaviors. I think for many people who are new to dementia or don't quite understand all that it entails, this book would be very helpful and insightful.

Something else that I liked about the book was that it gave dialogue to help guide in dealing with different scenarios. For people (especially) who are struggling to handle these behaviors, this is incredibly helpful! With that said, I think the dialogue portion is geared more towards Alzheimer's or dementias other than mom's (which is semantic). Mom's specific type of dementia makes it incredibly difficult for her to understand most of what we say to her (though it might have been more helpful in the beginning stages). The dialogue won't really help much in our specific situation.

All in all, if you are new to dementia, or even struggling to understand certain behaviors, unsure of what to expect, etc, I would recommend this book to read. Like I said, it's easy-not filled with a bunch of medical mumbo jumbo that regular people like you and me can't understand-and there are many helpful tips. You can find it here at this link and for future reference, I will also list it under my "books to read" tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment