Saturday, July 21, 2012

2012 Walk to End Alzheimer's

Since I've learned of my mom's diagnosis, I've been searching for ways to become involved in the dementia community and help in some way. I've thought of forming some kind of walk for dementia, but have no idea how to go about doing that.

The Alzheimer's Association is the organization that deals with dementia. Though it's mostly focused on Alzheimer's, it covers dementia as a whole. I have yet to find an organization specific to FTD. I suppose that is because it is such a small percentage affected in the dementia community; Alzheimer's represents 50-60% of ALL dementias.

In response to a comment I left (on the Alzheimer's website), I received information about a walk that will be happening in the city next to mine, on October 13th. I am very excited to announce that I will be participating in my first walk!! And...I am forming a team, which means I am a team captain! I have named my team in honor of my mom, "Team Dee".

Our team goal is to raise $1,200. However...for those who know me, you know that I love a little healthy competition. I am determined to be one of the top fund raising teams! Please, please, pretty please donate for our cause, which is very near and dear to my heart. It takes only a minute to do. You can drop a check in the mail, hand it to me personally (for those who are local), or go directly online and make your donation. Even if $5 is all you are able to contribute...it does help! If every friend and family member that I knew donated $5, I could potentially raise thousands of dollars! (On a side note...it is a tax write-off!)

Millions are affected by Alzheimer's, even more affected by other forms of dementia. Those numbers are expected to double every 20 years. It is the leading cause of death in the elderly. Today, we can all make a stand against the fight on dementia! I walk for all those affected by this terrible disease; but most of all, I walk for my mom.

Go Team Dee!

Click here to donate to my team!!

No comments:

Post a Comment