Thursday, September 18, 2014

Rest For The Weary

We've known for a while now that the time has come to find outside help for mom. Some of you might ask why we haven't done that yet; after all, I've been setting aside money from fundraisers for the past year and talking about it even longer. Let me break this down for you.

Average In-Home Caregiving Company = $20 an hour (average)
x's
40 hours a week (that's just the minimum)
x's 4 days a week
=
$3,200 per month

Even with the fundraisers I've done, I don't even have enough money saved to pay for one month of caregiving.

Frequently asked question: Isn't there some kind of assistance that will help pay for an in-home caregiver?

Yes, IF you are low income and IF you have no assets (which includes a house).

If you are well-off, you can afford to pay for a nice company to come and care for your loved one.

But, if you are stuck in the middle class, there is no help!!

Story of our life. I could write an entire blog just on this topic, but I'll spare you the politics. The fact of the matter is this: if you are an average, middle class family, there is no help. You have to have nothing to get anything in our society. The most we can hope for is to find a facility that will accept mom's social security and disability (which is minimal) as payment to LIVE in their facility. And even then, what will the quality of that facility be? If we want something nice, we're gonna have to pay for it. If we want to keep her at home, there is no help financially for the middle class. It's been a huge source of frustration for me, and I'm sure even more so for my dad as he has the stress and heartache of how to care for his sweetheart and keep her happy at home as long as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've laid awake at night contemplating the issue; it sounds dramatic, I know. But until you've been in this situation, it's hard to know the struggle and the heartache it brings.

I know our family is not alone. There are thousands, perhaps millions, who face this same dilemma. I have no idea how they do it. Oftentimes people have to give up the things they've worked hard for their entire lives (houses, cars, etc) in order to obtain proper care. I've met people who have had to sell all they have and move out of state just to make it work. This is tragic. Why can't more be done to help these people? Why can't the people who have worked hard to make their way in life be rewarded just the same as those who have struggled? It seems an injustice to me.

This issue has weighed heavily on my mind for quite some time now. And then it came to me: I had (what I would consider) a brilliant idea. But every brilliant idea is also a little bit crazy, right? For those who know me, you know how much I HATE to fail. Too many times, we let our fear of failure hold us back from potentially accomplishing great things. If we let that fear hold us back, we can miss out on opportunities that can not only have a huge impact on our lives, but on the lives of those around us as well. And so, after months and months of deliberation, I've decided that I am ready to move forward with my crazy, brilliant idea. And I'm going to tell you ALL about it tomorrow!!! Stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment